Do I need to apply for an agent licence?
Read and answer the following questions to find out if you need to apply for an agent licence from Rent Smart Wales.
A person (individual or company) who acts on behalf of a landlord on their instruction at a rental property in Wales requires a licence if they meet the following. Look at the work listed under the headings 'Agent Letting Work' and 'Agent Property Management Work'. If you carry out the action of collecting rent on behalf of a landlord at a rental property in Wales, you automatically meet the criteria of carrying out Letting and Management work for which you need an agent licence.
Agent Letting Work
One of these can be done without requiring a licence, as long you also do nothing under the ‘agent property management work’ section.
- publishing advertisements or disseminating information;
- arranging and conducting viewings with prospective tenants;
- preparing, or arranging the preparation of, the tenancy agreement;
- preparing, or arranging the preparation of, any inventory or schedule of condition;
Agent Property Management Work:
It is acceptable to do one of the following without requiring a licence, as long as you do not do anything under the ‘Agent Letting Work’ section
- being the principal point of contact for the tenant in relation to matters arising under the tenancy;
- making arrangements with a person to carry out repairs or maintenance;
- making arrangements with a tenant or occupier of the dwelling to secure access to the dwelling for any purpose;
- checking the contents or condition of the dwelling, or arranging for them to be checked as part of a current tenancy or for one that has ended;
- serving notice to terminate a tenancy.